HISTORY OF THE
The Vestal railroad station was built as the Lackawanna Railroad Depot for the Town of Vestal and started service in 1881.
It was originally located at Main Street one block North of four corners. The line connected NYC to Buffalo providing passenger service to Vestal from 1881 until 1959. The famous train "Phoebe Snow" made regular stops at this station.
The Town of Vestal purchased the depot in 1972 and moved it to its present location in the parking lot near the Vestal library.
The Vestal Historical Society led the restoration of the depot which opened as a museum in June of 1976. The depot is moving back to the train tracks which is now the Vestal Rail Trail a paved walking and biking path. The move of the depot to the Rail Trail will put the depot in the proper position to obtain National Historic Status, and to be more accessible to the public.